Gambling comes with various addictions. The feelings and urges are normal, but there is a need to make healthier choices and have a reliable support system to overcome them. With such a plan, it will be easy to resist all the cravings when the need to gamble strikes.
There are different ways to help avoid cravings.
- Ensure you avoid isolation. When the urge strikes, make sure you call a family member, go to Gamblers Anonymous meetings, or meet a friend.
- Keep on postponing gambling. Keep telling yourself that you can wait for five minutes, 15 minutes, or even an hour. That trick helps in overcoming the urge at your weakest point.
- Try to imagine the consequences when you give in to the urges. Think of the money you will waste after gambling and end up being disappointed.
- Look for distractions. Try going to the gym, watching a movie, or practicing relaxation exercises when you have the cravings.
- When having issues coping with the addiction, do not be too hard on yourself. Overcoming an addiction is a tough thing; you will end up slipping from one time to another. Always learn from your mistakes and work hard towards your recovery.
Gambling Addiction Treatment
It is not an easy thing; try to seek professional treatment to overcome the addiction. Each problem gambler has their own way of recovering. Ensure that you look for a recovery program that is tailor-made for your needs. When seeking help, make sure you get to know all the options available.
- Inpatient or residential treatment: This rehabilitation program is for those with a severe gambling addiction. They need round-the-clock support to overcome their problem.
- Treatment for underlying conditions: There are different problems related to gambling such as substance abuse and mental health conditions such as ADHD, OCD, anxiety, and depression. Some of the treatments include medication, lifestyle changes, and therapy. Sometimes problem gambling is a symptom of bipolar disorder, and a doctor will help with the diagnosis before starting the treatment.
- Cognitive-Behavioral therapy: This kind of help focuses on changing any unhealthy gambling habits and thoughts, false beliefs, and rationalizations. It gives tactics on how to fight gambling urges, and work on any relationship or employment problems. Therapy is an acute treatment, which helps with the addiction problem.
- Family and marriage therapy: This kind of therapy helps in sorting out issues that were created by the gambling problem. It helps in solving any financial or relationship issues.
Most of the time, compulsive gamblers need the support of their friends and family members to overcome the addiction. The problem gambler needs to see the importance of quitting; you cannot force it on them. The problem gambler needs to start helping themselves; they have the right to emotional and financial protection. Do not try to do it alone, or it will end up being overwhelming all through the process. Look for support when you feel anxious. Have boundaries on money management and ensure that your finances are not at risk.
When a problem gambler quits gambling, it is just one of the problems sorted. The main task is staying positive and avoiding any relapse. Online casinos are easily accessible, hence making it hard for the problem gambler to avoid them. To ensure that you are successful, be accountable, avoid tempting environments, control your finances, and look for healthier activities.